Now I go all techno-geek on you!

Friday, April 21, 2006

A few years ago I tried migrating to linux but I never felt I could do all the stuff I used to do in Windows. I ran multiboot and after a while I realized I didn't boot up in linux all that much, so away it went into the dark corners of my mind. I killed the linux partition because I never used it.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I got the idea to try again. I have a server which has been running slackware for years, but I wanted to see if linux was desktop-ready. Could I replace Windows (which I use everyday for all kinds of things) with linux without being frustrated or feeling restricted? I looked around at the different distributions and settled with Gentoo. Click forward a few times and here we are. 12.5% of my computer is now running linux and I'm not the least bit frustrated (not counting non-computer related frustration). The game support is a bit flakey (using Wine) but they're busy trying to map d3d to opengl, so I'm hopeful, other than that it's really nice. I kind of like the idea of having source code available for most of the software I run, even though I'll probably never tamper with any of it. I haven't booted up Windows in over a week. This is also one of the reasons why I haven't written here for a while, been busy getting my machine working for me instead of against me (I do not condone torture and I only do it for fun) and now it finally is.

I've been thinking about getting a PDA. I've read people can reach close to 80 wpm on one of those using the Fitaly-layout. The question is, do I need one? I bought a laptop a few years ago to, among other things, become a bit more mobile. The thing with laptops is that they weigh a couple of kilos and they're really hard to fit into your pants... ehh.. pocket. You really shouldn't put your laptop in your pants, that would be wrong. I plan on using it for writing, but I don't know if that's a feasible idea? Will writing on one of those give me carpal tunnel syndrome or give me hairy palms? Could it give me the ability to write wherever I am? I hope so...

Truck!

2 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger gaijin said...

PDA's are nice if you like writing, but (like me) can't really decode your own handwriting. ;)

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Birger said...

it will give you hairy palms =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home