Time is a'wastin'

Saturday, June 24, 2006

When I installed linux, I figured I shouldn't install any games. The silly rabbit knows I've played the Windows games way more than I should have, and if they're not installed, it's a lot easier to resist the urge. Those easy and quick to play games are a real and very potent problem, office workers all around the world spend countless hours playing WinMine and Solitaire. They're really devious; you have to use your brain just enough to not feel like you're watching TV, but not enough to actually get smarter (it's quite possible it'll actually make you dumber). Now, contrary to my own words of wisdom, I couldn't resist the urge and installed a game tonight. It's called Neverball (featuring Neverputt). It's similar to Super Monkey Ball for the GameCube (and Dreamcast?) which means it's very addictive. Yes, addictive, just like drugs, coffee and lubricated horseshoes. I ended up wasting my whole evening playing that damn game instead of writing. Is procrastination rearing it's reluctant head? Hell yeah! When I'm procrastinating I always end up looking for games. I've also spent a fair share of time tonight, reading about OpenTTD (Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe), FreeCiv and FreeCol. Lucky for me, I managed to resist installing them, else I wouldn't be blogging right now (god damnit! I just used "blog" as a verb, another step towards the dark, smelly, evil abyss of quite possibly eternal fruitcake).

Procrastination is a real bitch. But I also think trying to write a script which doesn't contain any fantasy elements makes it a bit more difficult for me, because reality is boring... or dumb... or possibly both: dorumb.

While I'm on the subject, I should mention this link: Supposing... Computers are deliberately wasting our time which is a fitting article for this evening of wasted work. So long, and thanks for the fruitcake... I mean fish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home